Search This Blog

Friday, July 27, 2012

Alvin Corn Glass Cleaner

This recipe was collected from:  http://www.crunchybetty.com/battle-of-the-homemade-glass-cleaners.  Love this gal's humor and approach to these things!


 
This is what I like to call:  Alvin Corn Glass Cleaner
Which, of course, stands for alcohol, vinegar, and cornstarch. I’m good at naming things, right? Any expectant mothers want some ideas?
Okay. So this stuff, it makes your mirrors look like they were just born. Fresh from the mirror womb. Seriously. I haven’t met a Windex or Glass Plus that could produce this kind of streak-free, clean and clear shine.
If I could somehow make my hand as big as my wall, and fashion a band around the mirror, it could double as an engagement ring.
Like a diamond.
Here’s the recipe:

Alvin Corn Homemade Glass Cleaner

  • 1/4 c. rubbing alcohol
  • 1/4 c. white vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2 c. warm water
Combine everything in a spray bottle, and shake well. Shake well before using, too, as the cornstarch might settle at the bottom (and subsequently plug the spray mechanism if it’s not mixed in well).
Judgment: It’s the best. It wins. We’ve covered this. But let’s look at one more VERY important thing: Cost.
This is all approximate (and I’m erring on the side of expensiveness, so it’s probably less than this), but I think we can agree that I’m probably close on my estimations:
1/4 c. vinegar = $0.20
1/4 c. rubbing alcohol = $0.25
1 Tbsp cornstarch = $0.03
2 c. water = virtually free, except for the water bill part, so let’s say $0.000001
Grand Total: $0.48
For an entire bottle of glass cleaner.
Not to mention, it’s completely nontoxic, you can simply reuse your old glass cleaner bottle over and over and over again (or you could paint a bottle, like I did mine, because it’s tres chic), and you’re not spraying nasty things all up in the air for your kids, spouses, and pets to breathe.
Go you!
Go Alvin Corn!
Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment